March 21, 2013

And, Then They Ate A Poisonous Plant...

It goes without saying that I adore my dogs.  They are freaking awesome (if I do say so myself)!



Paisley and Brady are still at the age that they want to taste everything regardless of what it is.  Yeah...they're just over a year old, but dachshunds stay in that "puppy" stage longer than larger breeds.  Generally, I don't take issue with them (or Meadow & Beckett) picking up a stick outside and giving it a good gnaw.

We all learned something the hard way last Thursday - hydrangea bushes are mildly toxic to dogs.  Paisley and Brady decided to nibble on a hydrangea branch before dinner.  They came in, and ate dinner as normal...five minutes later I hear tummy rumbles.

First Brady started vomiting.  Then twenty minutes later Paisley started too.  Between the hours of 7 PM and 2 AM, they emptied their system of EVERYTHING.  To make matters worse, Meadow decided to "help" me clean up a little (read between the lines folks) and got sick herself soon thereafter.

As my washer and dryer ran all night (let's just say the didn't warn me before they puked), I decided to start googling.  I keep a list of all the plants that are toxic to my pets.  Hydrangea was NOT on that list...but it is now.   Everyone was just fine after getting everything up; but I did call the emergency clinic to see what signs I should watch for.

Spring is going to arrive any day now, and I'll be updating my list of "safe" plants before I do any gardening.  I ask all my fellow pet parents to do the same!  Here are a few plants to get you started:

  • Autumn crocus (Colchicum): Its active ingredient, colchicines, triggers an anti-metabolic effect that can cause rapidly dividing cells, shedding of the gastrointestinal tract, bloody diarrhea, and vomiting.
  •  Azalea (Rhododendron): This popular plant can harm a dog's cardiovascular system and trigger vomiting or gastrointestinal upset.
  • Daffodil (Narcissus): Toxic ingredients in the bulbs cause convulsions, tremors, lethargy, weakness, and upset stomachs.
  • Hyacinth (Hyacinth): This popular plant can cause severe vomiting, bloody diarrhea, depression, and tremors.
  • Japanese yew (Taxis): Extremely toxic to dogs, this group of ornamental plants can cause seizures or cardiac failure. The plant and red berries are toxic.
  • Lily of the valley (Convalaria): This plant can cause heart failure, coordination problems, and vomiting.
  • Oleander (Nerium): Extremely toxic, this popular outdoor plant contains cardiac glycosides that harm the heart, decrease body temperature, cause abnormal pulse rate, and can cause death. Beware: Even people have died from eating hot dogs roasted on an oleander twig.
  • Rhubarb (Rheum): Although the stalks are used to make pies, the leaves pack the potential to cause kidney damage.
  • Sago palm (Cycads): Resembling an upside down pineapple, this plant thrives in sandy soils, especially in warmer states such as California, Texas, and Florida. A few seeds can kill a dog.
  • Tomato (Lycopersicion): Surprisingly, the greenery of this common plant, not the tomato itself, contains solanine, a toxic ingredient that can prompt gastric upset, depression, weakness, and a decrease in heart rate.
If you have any other plants that should be on the "no plant" list - please let me know!

Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. Oh no! Glad the pooches are okay, that must have been so nervewracking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So scary for moms..I'm glad that they are ok!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How scary! Glad they are okay! Jexi doesn't eat any plants luckily! One in a while a weed or grass but that's all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I'm glad they are ok! Sheldon is also in that stage (he will be a year on Sunday) so I'm constantly after him, making sure it's not anything harmful! We don't have a lot of plants around our house but I'll be sure to check the lists just to make sure the ones we do have aren't harmful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess its a good thing that my dogs have already killed/eaten every plant in my yard so its a barren desert! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So scary! Glad they're okay
    Nola

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG I'm so glad they're ok!! I've never worried about plants because our dogs have never been the type to eat them but I still need to be sure. Thanks for sharing this info!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so scary!

    I have to keep a list of plants that are ok and not ok for my bunny too. I'm so afraid he's going to eat something bad one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does not sound like a fun day! Glad that you figured out what it was so they can stay clear of the plant now and that everything turned out okay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no! Glad they are ok. I did not know that about hydrangeas. I don't have any in my yard, but my mom and sister do...so I will be spreading the word!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Tell me what you're thinking. :-)

 
Blog Design by Creative Girl Media